July 12, 2011

Discovery: Ryan McGinley, photgrapher

Well, in my daily pilgrimage across the wilds of the internet, I stumbled across a facebook profile, which took me to blog, which took me to a fashion website, which took me another blog, which took me to a tumblr account, where I ran upon this fellow:  Ryan McGinley.


American photography. Born 1977. Photographer of the Year 2003. Recipient of Young Photographer Infinity Award, 2007. Etc.

Here’s his website, as well as his Wikipedia page…












I find his work to be incredible: it’s all so very much alive, and each of his photos has such a vivid aspect of breath to them. Compositions are strong, his palettes are stunning, and allegedly he uses his close friends for models for his situational/documentary-style photography, which explains the casual, effortlessly candid nature of his photos.

There’s a lot of nudity in his phography (some photos being more graphic than others), and so it maybe isn’t the best option for web-browsing while at work, or at a public computer. Regardless though, his work is beautiful, raw, and uninhibited.  























More pics beyond the the jump:












2 comments:

  1. I love the nudity. Is that weird? He seems to have a reverence for life, real life. I love it.

    Also, the first boy's ribs look like peas in a pod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that's not weird at all. I love it too. He's got such a wonderfully blasé way of depicting it.

    And yes. You are right. Those ribs do look like peas.

    ReplyDelete