September 15, 2011

Path Patterns and Fill Patterns

Less than a month into my graphic design classes and I'm already in love with them. In a computer software class, we're learning about the power of the Adobe Creative Suite (namely Illustrator), and we've been working a lot in it. The pictures on this post are all various results.

Our latest assignment was to create fill patterns (repeating patterns within a shape) and path patterns (basically just borders). My design à la gauche ->


I'm incredibly drawn to textiles as well as vintage things, folksy things, and foreign things. What better inspiration then than traditional Russian embroidery? Their patterning is breathtakingly detailed and gorgeous. I took various  cross-stitch patterns, mixed and matched, and made them into vector patterns: Each cross stitch of the original pattern (which is so conveniently a square) is represented by a single, computer vector square. Every single one. Once I got the hang of it, it just became a lot of double-checking and aligning, and it wasn't too difficult. 


Definitely time consuming, but what amazing results. I've now got great patterns to use as stationary, borders, letters, wrapping paper, or cloth.








No comments:

Post a Comment